//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Random Thoughts of a Lioness: Tiga satu bulan lapan..lima puluh tujuh ..hari mulia, negaraku MERDEKA!

Random Thoughts of a Lioness

The reward of conformity was that everyone liked you, except yourself.

Name:

This is me. Like it or not. 'I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions' - Dorothy Day, 1952

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Tiga satu bulan lapan..lima puluh tujuh ..hari mulia, negaraku MERDEKA!


Watching the shows on tv yesterday brought so much memories. Merdeka to me would always remind me of the stories from Wan and Ki about their hardship before we got our independence. Of how they used the house in Kampung Raja as a place for UMNO meetings. Of how they had to hide from the Japanese in the bushes, while keeping my mom safe. Of how hard it was to find rice.

"Susoh nok jjupe berah masa tu. Makang ubi kayu lah sokmo! Rebuh, makang dengang nyior, makang dengan gula, makang dengan sambal.."

"It was so hard to find rice during those times. We have to settle for tapioca all the time! Boiled, eat it with coconut, eat it with sugar, eat it with sambal.."

And it would remind me of the stories of how my dad got his nickname from a Japanese soldier. I can remember the history being re-told by my parents every year (that's what you get when both your parents are history teachers!). I still get all teary-eyed when I see those golden citizens being interviewed.



Oh, and the parade. Managed to catch an hour of the parade in Putrajaya from the comfort of my living room. It was like walking down memory lane! I was sharing with Buster *who fell asleep halfway* on how I would eagerly wait for the parade each year when I was little. Once in school, I was in the parade myself with fellow band members. *Although at that time it mattered more to most of us to get the top three places in the Brass Band category!* Mama and Aboh too had to be in the parade a few times, representing teachers of Terengganu.

But the best one was seeing Wan being pushed on a wheelchair in the national parade alongside her buddies as the Wira Negara - those who fought for the independence. She made me so proud! And eventhough her kids told her that it would be tiring for her, she wouldn't miss it for the world. Wish Ki was around too.

Yes, Merdeka means a whole of different things to different people, especially us post-merdeka children. For some it is just another off day. And some, a chance to stay out late to watch the concert and fireworks. I might not have a true meaning of Merdeka, but it has long since been one of the favourite days of mine.

SELAMAT MENYAMBUT HARI KEMERDEKAAN YANG KE 48, MALAYSIA!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Semalam kucing saya Haji Malim pegi sambutan Hari Merdeka Warga Kota di ibu negara. No, no, bukan bird-day saya kata Haji Malim penuh ceria. Saja datang tumpang makang, kata Haji Malim sambil menelan ikang. Jumpa seorang wanita India anak merdeka. "Malaysia Rani" namanya, sempena bird-day dia di hari Merdeka. Tak tahu nak panggil di Miss Malaysia ke, atau Miss Rani.

ray and the merdeka cats

6:29 PM  
Blogger Muddy said...

yay! a patriotic just like me! :)

2:11 PM  
Blogger ADLIZA HIZAN said...

gosh.. it must've been a very proud moment for u n family... watching wan in the parade..

was it this year's parade??

Whatever pun, WOW. I respect them :)

3:27 PM  
Blogger ADLIZA HIZAN said...

gosh.. it must've been a very proud moment for u n family... watching wan in the parade..

was it this year's parade??

Whatever pun, WOW. I respect them :)

3:28 PM  
Blogger lion3ss said...

Ray & Merdeka Cats : So rajin Pak Malim pegi tengok festivities. Miss Malaysia huh? Cool name..

Muddy : Yay - right back at you!

Leez : No, not this year. I think it was back ten years ago. But it did make us proud to see Wan in her maroon baju kurung being wheeled in front of the Agong!

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home