//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Random Thoughts of a Lioness: Renjis renjis dipilis..

Random Thoughts of a Lioness

The reward of conformity was that everyone liked you, except yourself.

Name:

This is me. Like it or not. 'I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions' - Dorothy Day, 1952

Monday, September 12, 2005

Renjis renjis dipilis..

Attended a wedding on Buster's side of the family yesterday, and boy, I felt so lost!

Not that I didn't know anyone or things like that. Since Daddy wanted to be there early to help out, I had to leave with him before Jiji, Chulan and the rest got ready. As soon as we were there, I was taken by the hand by one of the ladies who helped out to make sure I ate. Okaaay. Told them I am part of the family, but they said - EAT FIRST, GO IN LATER. Had a bowl of soto and went in. *Was told later by an uncle, they call those who help out as merewang*

Soooo many people talked to me in Javanese! And all I could catch was Daddy's name, the word youngest, and Terengganu. Thank God for Aunty Nerry who translated some when she saw the blank look on my face! Buster had to help out outside so I was left to my own defences to assist with the food AND trying to understand what was asked!

Was sooo happy to finally see Jiji coming in after 2 hours. But by then, the worse has passed. And glad to say, I think I survived my test! *winks*

8 Comments:

Blogger MDR said...

ooohh..was it a test? :-) i was linguistically tested during my bertandang session in KB.. i'm fine with standard Kelantanese, but if it's like the THICK version, I'm lost..so a grandmother relative of the hubby's asked me something I didn't understand and I just smiled and then mother in law just HAD to ask with a knowing smile: "Mok Wo dok ghoyak gapo tuh?" because I wasn't supposed to smile at what she said, I guess...and so I'm like..whoops.. *senyum kambing*

guess i failed the test :-D

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm....been quite some times since i last read your blog. In the last one, you mentioned about the escapade. There...you got one. A trip to Java without having to actually go there pun.

I guess they did not talk anything about your physical appearances coz I learnt the hard way that girls have the capability to understand all the language in the world when it comes to people talking about it.

p/s: did you get somethin for passing the test??

-bro-

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Lollies said...

wooo ada kena test ya?

9:59 AM  
Blogger lion3ss said...

Marina & Lollies : Not really a test la. But I guess the aunties were all looking at me to see how I would react to the questions asked in jawa! But Marina, I kidna gave a wrong answer too when I first met the grandma. I asked me who I was - and I said yes, we just got here!

Bro : *rolls eyes* Yeah, like that helps la kan? And no, I didn't get anything (unless food to be tapau-ed home can be counted!)

12:23 PM  
Blogger ADLIZA HIZAN said...

sooooo... Buster speaks Jawa eh?

*This I gotta hear...hehehe*

5:22 PM  
Blogger lion3ss said...

Rostam : Brutal huh? Hmmm.. I wonder.. But the friendly part I have to agree!

Leez : Buster? Mana ada reti cakap Jawa pakcik tu. His late grandfather cakap ngan dia pun he'll just nod his head buat buat faham!

4:47 PM  
Blogger famyGirl said...

ooohhh i get lost in language during big gatherings (on hubby's side) like these too. same situation like yours ;)

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home