//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Random Thoughts of a Lioness: Sir, I think the red tie and your green shirt may not be the right combination..

Random Thoughts of a Lioness

The reward of conformity was that everyone liked you, except yourself.

Name:

This is me. Like it or not. 'I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions' - Dorothy Day, 1952

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Sir, I think the red tie and your green shirt may not be the right combination..

It was one of the most interesting and fun training I've coordinated so far. For the first time I didn't even care if Crazy Woman was next to me the whole 2 days long!

With the aspiration of the company to be among the big boys, we are always under the watchful eyes of others. Especially the senior management. So one day, the Big Madam called us and suggested that our senior management and future gems are to be groomed. Especially when most of them are engineers and those who were groomed since young in the plant. Where they think putting on those hard hats and yellow coloured jacket is good enough. Don't even get me started on the shoes. The Big Madam felt - what better way than to send them for a crash course on public image?

I spent most of last month running around to get consultants, booking these busy people's time *the secretaries can be very very tough* and get the logistics ready. I was mighty glad to see 13 out of 15 of them showed up on Monday, looking all crisp and dapper in their suits! And very interested to know why they were chosen:

Were we handpicked?

Our dressing teruk sangat ke?

Thank goodness sempat pinjam suit from my boss!

Where are the rest?

Siapa yang kata we all tak cukup grooming ni?


The next two days flew away so quickly with loads of laughter and makeovers. All of them are taught what colours suit them best by categorising into seasons *I am Autumn-Spring by the way!*. I guess it kinda worked since most of them came in their 'colour' the next day! They also had a hair and eyewear session, where one with the most old fashioned hairstyle *think back to the early 80s..yes, that bad!* got his hair gelled and refashioned in a way that made him years younger.

The trainer did warn them earlier that she will tell the participants as she saw fit. So imagine their faces when they were told what was wrong with them. Some were fine the way they are, while a few needed a total overhaul! Some needed new ties. Others new suits. A few needed help in the hair department. A couple had to change their Elton John glasses. And the list was endless!

The fun and laughter did not just stop there. They were also subjected to dining etiquette, visual confidence, posture and verbal intelligence. The Chinese dining saw most eating with chopsticks the right way for the first time. With spilled soy sauce and the dropped chilies, they finally got the hang of it soon enough. After lunch, we doubled in laughter again looking at how they try to walk and stand with a pen stuck in their back. It was hilarious!

However on Tuesday, everyone were in high spirits and made the effort of corporating the changes mentioned. They came with matching ties and nicely made-up hair, and one - with brand new shoes to replace his safety shoes *which he bought that night. However, he forgot to take out the price tag on the sole and that made him the joke of the day!* It was heartwarming to see them in their best..and the 'after' portraits taken of them were just.. wonderful.

The Madam was also impressed and already asked me to plan for the next one. I don't mind..maybe I'll plan it for the ladies this time around!

Mood of the day : Procrastinate

16 Comments:

Blogger binx said...

interesting course..

my company organises a similar course every quarterly for the execs and senior execs.. was suppose to attend it last month but my boss took my name out of the list.. hmmm.. maybe i don't need such grooming anyway.. kekeke.. or boss wanted to load me with more work..i think it was the 2nd reason..

9:29 PM  
Blogger famyGirl said...

fun nya!! :)

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh it's for the guys.... Interestingnya.

10:32 AM  
Blogger lion3ss said...

binx : Oooh, hope you'll go for the next one. It is so interesting. Even if you are already well groomed! *winks*

famy & lollies: It was indeed fun. And the participants are of those CEO and GM level - you'll never see them this relaxed and funny.

10:46 AM  
Blogger kimster said...

Your Big Ma'am tu pun nak kena buat makeover jugak tu. Baju warna oren and all that crappy, bright colours, and rambut siap ada highlight etc. Sheesh!!! Dah tua bangka tu bawak bertenang sikit.

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soooo funny.
Sis! Can you be my personal image consultant after this. -bro-

4:28 PM  
Blogger lion3ss said...

the-kimster : Thought the Big Madam is rather well groomed apa?

Bro : Hmm..if the consultant charges S$3800 per person, well...*mentally calculating*

5:32 PM  
Blogger Dade Ghost said...

I always knew, image consultants makes money. Wondering if I still got time to change career????

7:15 PM  
Blogger lion3ss said...

DG: Wanna make me partner?

8:11 AM  
Blogger Dade Ghost said...

Lioness, give me a simple working paper.... see from there. I am serious, malas la nak keje gan org sampai bile bile.... mana la tau??? Ade rezeki....

8:35 AM  
Blogger Blogger User said...

lion3ss, next time pick me la pulak... I oso want free makeover kinda thing!

8:42 AM  
Blogger kimster said...

rather well groomed?
go and get your eyes checked.

8:52 AM  
Blogger atiza said...

i've been to one..so you know how awful i dressed..

but when i went there, the Madam said my dressing was okay. she just said that i should add more colour to my face (an excuse to buy more make up) and since i'm a bit dark, to wear yellow gold accesories instead white gold (hint to H *wink*wink*).

9:20 AM  
Blogger lion3ss said...

DG : Very tempting idea *imagining self as image consultant*

the-jamie : Will keep that in mind!

the kimster : I really hope we are talking about a different Madam. I'd hate to buy new lenses.

atiza : I am warm too! But Buster hates to see me in yellow gold. And yes, I was also told to put some colours to my face!

9:24 AM  
Blogger ADLIZA HIZAN said...

hon, i think you look pretty just the way you are!! SERIOUSLY!!

but then again, i don't make S$3800/person, so what do I know?

Hehehe.

4:24 PM  
Blogger lion3ss said...

Leez : *blush* Thank you dear. Saje je orang ggini buat duit by telling people how to dress..

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home