//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Random Thoughts of a Lioness: A Walk Down Memory Lane - The Ice Cream & Satay Story

Random Thoughts of a Lioness

The reward of conformity was that everyone liked you, except yourself.

Name:

This is me. Like it or not. 'I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions' - Dorothy Day, 1952

Friday, September 24, 2004

A Walk Down Memory Lane - The Ice Cream & Satay Story

Nanum is finally discharged from the hospital last night. Since BW is back home, I think I'll hang my gourmet chef apron for a while. It was fun while it lasted though. And hopefully, if I am indeed moving back home it'll start again!

Anyway, last night Tiya expressed her amazement about a friend who eats rice with butter and asked me if I ever did. Told her my favourite lunch when I was growing up was nasi bater kicap ngan ayang goreng kunyit (rice with butter and soy sauce and chicken fried with tumeric). And how Mok, my nanny used to cook us maggi mee with chicken feet and carrots to make sure our meal was nutritious (and to make sure our eyesight is good, hence the carrot!). *Sorry Mok, all three of us ended up with glasses after all!*

I remember all the food we used to eat after school too. Being in the afternoon session in my Primary 2, 3 and 4,we used to look forward to the end of our school hours. Reason being, apart from the fact that school is over? We get to buy aiskring roti dua poseng and sate ikang kuoh manis or kuoh pedah, or kuoh capur* for that matter. The ice cream man outside our school gates sold these delicious ice cream they bring in an ice box on his bike (or sometimes motorcycle). You can either have the aiskring collek (ice cream with cone), aiskrim batang (the normal ice lolly on a stick) or the aiskring roti (scoops of ice cream sandwiched between two slices of bread)Of course it wasn't those glamorous ice cream like Haagen Dasz (which I didn't hear of until I was 16), Walls or Magnolia, but it was delicious! And as for the sate ikang(fish satay), the sate man would come on his trishaw-like vehicle, and grill the sate there and then. The satay is actually *small home made fishballs on a stick, served with either a sweet or spicy sauce or a mixture of both. Best thing was, you could buy one for ten cents!

There are other sellers outside the gate, like the assam lady, the bread uncle and other, but these two were always the favourite among us. I went around SRSS 1 & 2 recently during my trip back, but sadly no Pokcik Sate Ikang or Aiskring Roti man was around. *sigh* In their places are those ice cream sellers with Walls or Magnolia tricycles.

I seriously think my nieces and nephews are missing a lot of simple things I enjoyed when I was little..

3 Comments:

Blogger elisataufik said...

nok sate ikangggg!!!
mana nok cari doh lenning?

11:27 AM  
Blogger lion3ss said...

According to T, sometimes they are still around the schools in the evening. Will try my luck next time I go back, tapi rase bulan pose takdok orang jual kut? Then again, makanang masa bulan pose kat tranung would need a whole separated entry dedicated to it!

3:03 PM  
Blogger Dina Zaman said...

i had that too! lapooooo

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home