//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Random Thoughts of a Lioness: Back To Basics

Random Thoughts of a Lioness

The reward of conformity was that everyone liked you, except yourself.

Name:

This is me. Like it or not. 'I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions' - Dorothy Day, 1952

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Back To Basics

Hamzah ba' mati di atas abb...

Yup, I am back to the most basic Quran readings - learning muqaddam. I have been meaning to re-start my daily readings and weekly classes, but the old procrastinator in me keeps postponing the noble idea. So when a few of the staff on my floor talked about calling an ustaz every Tuesday, I was all game. And he felt that it won't be a waste if we start from scratch, much to everyone's approval.

This is the second time I am taking classes at work. The first time was two years ago, when I was studying under ZZA - a very, very serious (and not to forget fierce) lady. Managed to complete a few surahs till I started travelling and missing classes. And last year, my regular nightly reading was often neglected. The only reading I had was on Thursday nights - if I wasn't busy doing anything else. The Quran was gathering dust on the dressing table.

Recently, I was reminded of the list of things-to-do that I promised myself. Things I needed to do in order to be in focus again, and to be at ease with myself. And it works. As always. Reading those alphabets and turning those pages gives me a sense of serenity and peace I needed. And now, even if I have to start from Square 1, I am happy as a bird. Not only does it helps me with my tajwid, but also the right pronounciation.

I remember my first mengaji class. I was five. The class was 15 minutes walk away from my house. To get to Che' Da's house, Abang and me had to pass through Mak Ngoh Puli's house (she sold..err.. kuih puli *duh* and lompat tikam) as well as Mok Teh's pulut lepa's store. It was no wonder that we always came back with goodies. The first day I was 'enrolled' into the class, Mok (my nanny) brought a bag of sweets and some fruits. For those who are not familiar with mengaji classes in the kampung (or is it only in Terengganu?), the teachers do not accept any money in return for their expertise. They do it as part of ibadah. So, parents usually give food, flour or batik instead. Che' Da's sons (who also taught the junior kids a.k.a me) were talking about these new kids who came with sweets in front of me and Abang not knowing it was us!

I remembered going to mengaji in my dresses and skirts, but always with a blanket handy to cover myself. I was known as 'anok cindralela mok' (Mok's Cinderella daughter) due to this. Hated the nickname, but it brought me much closer to Che Da's family. I stopped going there after Standard One, and as much as I regretted it, I stopped visiting them altogether. The last time I went there was four years ago when Che Da passed away.

I hope I'll make her proud by reading again. I remembered her words till today - "Quran ni, kalau kita berenti senang nok hilang. Dok soh lupa baca sokmo, biar pung selai sehari. (The Quran, once you stop reading will easily be forgotten and fade away. Don't ever forget to read it regularly, even if it's a page a day.)"




5 Comments:

Blogger RG said...

proud of you :)

10:34 AM  
Blogger lion3ss said...

Thanks dear. I hope your Mrs is better.

9:36 AM  
Blogger elisataufik said...

i remember my quran lessons at a similar 'establishment'.
My mom used to make us bring nasik semalam or hampas nyor to feed the teacher's chickens.
We'd pick daun setawar after our classes and keep it in our muqaddam and check on it every day to see if the roots have sprouted out.
I remember then the different 'pointers' that we had.. if we were new, it would be just a piece of paper (from an exercise book) folded into a thin triangle. Once we got 'older' we had lidi. I remember one time when buying them gold colored metal gelang that came with them sweets were all the rage and some of us broke the bangle and straightened them out to make these 'glamour' pointers. Once one of our friends found an eagle's feather and he used that instead.
Walks to mengaji was a lot of fun, walking behind people's houses in our baju kurung and selendang. There was one time when our lessons were after maghrib and we had to walk/run home in the dark with a torchlight in hand, jumping over frogs and other nocturnal creatures.
I think when I find a cikgu mengaji, I'll make my kids walk to their lessons too.

2:22 PM  
Blogger lion3ss said...

We had the same experience with the penunjuk!! But when I started mengaji at home, mom gave me her old pointer pen to use. Never felt quite the same as the self-made buluh pen-like pointers though.

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy ativan buy lorazepam legally - effects of ativan and alcohol

5:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home