//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Random Thoughts of a Lioness: A Walk Down Memory Lane - Driving to KL

Random Thoughts of a Lioness

The reward of conformity was that everyone liked you, except yourself.

Name:

This is me. Like it or not. 'I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions' - Dorothy Day, 1952

Friday, May 13, 2005

A Walk Down Memory Lane - Driving to KL

Our in-house lawyer-person just confirmed that I am to attend a session in the East Coast this coming Tuesday.

With Buster leaving for the Lion City (and not bring his lioness!) this weekend, it'll be perfect. I get to be away from the office, and get to see friends like Crocy, AlphaBeta and Noora *in hope to get free seafood din-dins!*. According to Mr-Lawyer-Person, I could get a lift from him and save me the trouble of flying. With the new highway, it takes about 2 hours to reach Kuantan..compared to before. Anyway, the drive always reminds me of the long hours we would spend travelling from good ol KT to KL those days.

When we were growing up, we used to look forward to our trip to KL. Mama and Aboh would make sure that we take at least one trip each year. One reason was to make sure we meet our family, since Mama's siblings were all in KL. Another was to shop for school things - uniforms in Globe, books in Minerva, shoes, etc..etc., (you get the drift). And for me, the best thing about these trips were the car ride, and all the stops in between.

We would leave rather early in the morning, normally after Subuh prayers. Equipped with cushions and enough food to feed an army, we would bundle up in Aboh's white Peugeot 504 and make ourselves comfortable. T would always end up in the middle seat, while Abang and I would fight for the seat behind Mama (more room space!). Then off we went, taking the coastal road heading to Kemaman. I just love the scenic route! More times than never, we were lucky to see the fishermen coming up the shore while the tok peraihs wait for their catch. And the blue green colour of the sea was just..magnificent! I always had difficulty sleeping in moving vehicles so being the only one awake to accompany Aboh, we would often talk and I'd sing and he'd tell stories. *smile*

Our first stop was either Dungun or Pakato buy newspapers. An extra set of Malay dailies for Arwah Ki. And a magazine for us if we were behaving. We'd pass the beautiful Kemasik beach, and climbed the Kijal hill to get to Kemaman. It was rather steep those days..before we had the new highway. Right after we passed the Kemaman River (and the ketam nipah man) we were already in Chukai.

The stop in Kemaman was always fun because arwah Wan would buy so many food for breakfast. Nasi dagang, bekang, laksa gandum, kuih guppal - you name it, they had it. Cik Tik and Cik Pah, my youngest two aunties, would also prepare goodies like cookies or homemade crisps for our journey. While the elders were talking in the kitchen, Abang and I would try to coax Ki to bring us around in his basikal tua. And oh what fun it was!

With our tummies filled and our legs stretched, we continued on. An overload of food was damaging to the eyes, as Mama and my two brothers would be fast asleep even before we reached Cherating. I loved this area because the names of the villages (Kg. Sungai Ular and Kg Seberang Sungai Ular..how original is that?) as well as the beautiful view of the beaches. From there, Aboh would take the Kuantan bypass. Still full from breakfast, we rarely stopped at the rest area except for nature calls. Lunch stop would usually be either Maran or Temerloh, although we normally opted for the latter. Aboh with his fried noodle, Mama with her ikan patin and us, being more interested in junk food rather than lunch!


I do remember other places we passed, such as Gambang- the place we called the Bintang Tiga town, Lanchang- where I nearly posted a poison pen letter to my dad's evil ex-boss (that's another story!) and of course, Karak- the town where they had a KFC outlet way before KT had ours!

Our final stop would be Genting Sempah - the stop just before the tunnel. Mama would allow us to get kacang rebus (steamed groundnuts), jambu batu (guava) and sodas *and if we were lucky, those red-coloured crackers which looked like some tangled mess*. Then, the most awaited moment..going through the terowong. Those time, the tunnel wasn't as well lit nor was it as clean as it is now. It was very dark, and T and I would fight on who got to switch on the hazard lights. And we found it really funny to see our skin turning yellow because of the lighting.

Ridiculous, the things that impressed us back then!

Once we passed the tunnel, it was rather fast. We'd pass Gombak and Sentul (my landmark would be the La Salle school) and lo and behold, there we were in KL City. Happy as I was everytime we arrived, I couldn't wait till we would be on the move again.

As they say - what counts is not the destination, but the journey to get there.

Mood of the moment : Lighthearted

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh when I was the kid..I love the tunnel too. I also don't know why.

11:11 PM  
Blogger atiza said...

been to the tunnel last friday. one of the lane to k'tan was closed for construction

10:09 AM  
Blogger Dade Ghost said...

THe good ole days! I remembered going to New Castle (KB) thru KT. It took me 13 hours! Of course, we stopped at lots of place. I love the beach in Trengganu.... but it is dangerous....
Tunnel? Yes I love tunnels.... different kind though...

10:39 AM  
Blogger lion3ss said...

lollies : It was like THE highlight of the trip. Sekarang ada tunnel kat Penchala Link lalu everyday pun tak heran.

atiza : Serious? Hope that won't create a jam when I go later.

DG : Haha..naughty you! Once it took us 10 hours to reach KL bcos of the flood.

10:54 AM  
Blogger MDR said...

hee...reading this reminded of my own fondness for a particular childhood journey..but mine was the other way around: it was our trips from the city back to Kelantan..

i remember all the foodies we'd pack for the trip, the books, mags and music i needed to keep me company during the long hours, and the hours spent daydreaming, looking out the window and enjoying the scenery...

of course there were Puking episodes from my carsick brother and sister..but those are so NOT fond memories that I'd rather forget :-D

1:59 PM  
Blogger Blogger User said...

I remember those long stretch road along Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman, particularly Globe, Minerva, and the shoe shops. Those were the places where we shopped for our school uniforms, text-books and raya shoes. I remember looking forward to it every year. Thanks for sharing it for it bring back my childhood memory with my father.

7:17 PM  
Blogger lion3ss said...

Marina : I love daydreaming while in the car too. And err.. I chose not to remember the puking episodes *grin*

Jamie : I forgot about the trips to Insaf after the shopping! Good ol' days huh?

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home