//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Random Thoughts of a Lioness: Saying goodbye is never an easy thing..

Random Thoughts of a Lioness

The reward of conformity was that everyone liked you, except yourself.

Name:

This is me. Like it or not. 'I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions' - Dorothy Day, 1952

Monday, October 18, 2004

Saying goodbye is never an easy thing..

Not so long ago, I dedicated a whole entry to my beloved Sporty. Towards the end of that particular entry, there was a scenario that I can't imagine will ever happen. Unfortunately, I am now faced with the grief of losing the best feline friend I have ever had.

I arrived home last weekend running to the kitchen calling his name. Not finding him at his usual spot doesn't surprise me much as loves hunting the creepy crawlies at night. But the look on Mama's face told me something I didn't want to hear.

"He has not been home for two weeks, Adik. We looked everywhere, but no one seems to see him. We didn't know how to tell you."

Sporty's gone? That can't be true. Yes, he has been playing the disappearing act a couple of times last month - going away for a day or two, only to come home when he is hungry. But to be away for fourteen days? Called Wan and she told me the last time she saw him was a few days before she came to KL. He called out to her about 5 a.m. to open the doors (which was normal for him to do!). Unfortunately, Wan was having her migraine at the time and didn't get up. And that was the last time anyone heard Sporty. Wan blames herself for not letting him in. Mama feels bad 'cos she was away for a conference when he went missing. I refuse to believe he is gone, and told Mama that night that Sporty will never fail to see me whenever I come back for the past 6 years. How could a cat, who doesn't even venture out of our gates leave us just like that?!

But throughout the weekend, a Siamese kitten whom Sporty befriended a couple months ago keeps appearing in front of our door. It was as if she wanted to tell Mama something. She keeps looking directly into her eyes and urged Mama to follow her. Unfortunately, we don't understand cat talk and we always lose her on the way to where she was taking us. Yesterday afternoon, when I was washing Sporty's bowl, she came again. I fed her Sporty's Friskies, and pleaded to her to tell us where Sporty was. *I know, I know I sound crazy, but I didn't have any choice!* She just ate and sat exactly how and where Sporty sits when he was hunting birds. I shut the door thinking nothing of it. I was still in denial.

During our buka puasa, we suddenly hear a male cat's meow from the roof - Sporty's favourite hide-out. I literally ran outside and saw a white cat jumping down. I was in tears calling his name, only to find out it was the tom cat that has been vying Sporty's territory for ages. It was then that I suddenly realise Sporty may never come back. We will never know whether he is dead or alive, but one thing for sure - he is gone. The realisation had me in terrible sobs - all the way to the airport. And no, this entry doesn't have a happy ending. When we called Aboh this morning, Sporty is still gone.

Sporty, thanks for brightening our lives for the past 6 years. Thanks for keeping Wan cheerful with your antics and for converting Aboh to like cats. Thank you for keeping the bed warm while I was away all these years, and most of all, thank you being my best friend when no one else understands. I hope we have provided you well. I love you my dear white fluffy friend, and there shall be no other who can take your place in this heart of mine.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bustaman said...

We had a cat named Abu (for Kelabu) who came with us to KL from Bukit Kecik, KT. He disappeared too.

5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaaa.. so sweet. Not! You make me sick with your whiny-calling-for-attention-stories. You pretend to be naive, innocent and sickly sweet. Cut the act already. It's not endearing.

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aiyo. anonymous cuckoo or mad ahh?/ if u read oso get sick, why u still read ah? use ur otak lah. can or not? haiya.

1:48 PM  
Blogger lion3ss said...

Pok Ku: Maybe Abu didn't like the city life. Sporty was FROM KL by the way.

Anon 2: Funny how people who hate other people's writing keeps reading them, kan? The best thing is - Anon 1 wants me to stop writing my 'stories'. Meaning he/she has been reading before? *arch eyebrow*

3:25 PM  
Blogger elisataufik said...

pedulikkan..

anyways, i remember kelabu. Never knew what happened to him. Prolly got eaten by dogs...

may sporty end in kucing heaven..

1:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home