//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Random Thoughts of a Lioness: Me-ow!

Random Thoughts of a Lioness

The reward of conformity was that everyone liked you, except yourself.

Name:

This is me. Like it or not. 'I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions' - Dorothy Day, 1952

Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Me-ow!


Reading Dina Zaman's entry on cats made me miss my cat so much.

I got Sporty back in 1998, a couple of months before I left for my studies. Ebs had a white female cat that had just given birth to four most beautiful white kittens, one of which was named Spotty due to a faded black spot on his head. (We were quite convinced that Che’ Teh had a Persian lover looking at the fluffy fur inherited by her kittens!). So taken I was with them that Ebs decided to give a pair for me to bring home. I remembered how much attention they got when they were about to board the plane!

Sporty grew up much faster than Didi, and by the second month he was with us, his spot disappeared! I still believe to this day that it wasn’t even a spot, hehe. Hence the change of name (plus it was the Spice Girls era at the time, not that I admit listening to them!). Both were perfect kittens – they were toilet trained, they didn’t sleep on sofas and they were so playful! As I left to further my studies, Sporty and Didi were left in the care of my cat-loving grandmother and T. Mama would send me pictures of them which I blue-tacked on my wall.

When Didi died after giving birth, I was worried that Sporty would be lonely. He became so attached and protective to one remaining ‘nephew’ of his that when Hazel too, died he went into depression. He wouldn’t eat, wouldn’t play and saddest of all, he keeps staring at Hazel’s favourite spot. I guess that was when the whole family started to pamper him. He gets to sleep on Wan’s bed, eat whatever he wants, sits with us on the sofa while watching TV – the works. He comes in and out of the house as he pleases, especially at night. As much as he loves sleeping on the bed, he just couldn’t resist the temptation of crickets and frogs and sometimes, birds calling out to him to be chased. Whenever he gets reprimanded for being overly spoilt or naughty (like sleeping on top of the fridge, surprising Mama with his kills or trying to sneak into the bird house), he will actually merajuk and hides himself up on the roof. Even Aboh, who doesn’t like cats can’t help but laugh at his antics. Mama’s deduction is that Sporty fancies himself as one of us…you know..err..human. *which I think so too*

One thing about Sporty though – he is wary of strangers and hates it when the house is full. He would be missing for hours and only come back for his meals unnoticed. He would actually snub you if you are not a common face in the house! He is sometimes hostile towards Abang since he doesn’t go home often enough to be familiar. However, he has warmed up quite well towards Buster who doesn’t help matters by spoiling him rotten!

Well, I just realised that I have dedicated a whole page to Sporty. Talk about spoiling my cat! But I love him dearly that I don’t think any other cat would even come close! T asked me whether we would ever get another cat if one day Sporty were to leave us, but I can’t imagine that scenario at the moment.

*I look forward for our next trip back home and present him with his new flea collar! MUAHAHAHAHA*

 


2 Comments:

Blogger elisataufik said...

you mean her post didnt make you puke?? I mean with all the stories about people running, stepping on and strangling cats??
ha ha :)

2:19 PM  
Blogger lion3ss said...

Hahaha..when I first read it I thought it was really sad that people found it funny, but by the 5th or 6th comments I couldn't help laughing myself!

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home