//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Random Thoughts of a Lioness: That's the way it goes..

Random Thoughts of a Lioness

The reward of conformity was that everyone liked you, except yourself.

Name:

This is me. Like it or not. 'I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions' - Dorothy Day, 1952

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

That's the way it goes..

I was awoken by the sound of my phone's SMS beep. I sat in disbelief at first - he was just shaking hands with us on Friday! But then again I realised, it has all been written by Him.

Al- Fatihah to our dearest Chairman, may he rest in peace. Personally, I will miss this orang tua yang comel.

YESTERDAY: BUSTER'S BIRTHDAY

He called at nine sulking that none of his friends remembered to wish him. After a few sms-es to those who mattered, he was flooded by phone calls and warm wishes that he stubbornly refused to answer - just to teach them a lesson!

The funny thing was, the first wish at the stroke of midnight (apart from yours truly) was from Malinski's ex! And the first two he got in the a.m. were from my dearest friends. *Thanks guys*

Although our earlier plan of having a private dinner was overruled by Jiji's and BW's family dinner reservation, we still managed to squeeze in a small gathering of his close friends in Strudels for cakes and ice cream. I still have not gotten anything for this dear husband of mine..although he has hinted for a golf set (WHAT?!).

Maybe tonight's dinner and movie outing will keep him quiet for a while until I think of a suitable gift AND till the money comes in..muahahaha.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We witnessed the passing of yet another great man in the organisation. It was not long ago that we lost our Dato Ali, and now the whole company will have to cope with the lost of our Tan Sri Chairman.

Those of us who saw him during the Karnival Keluarga 2004 week will confirm that he wasn't exactly in perfect shape. Yet he insisted to come to the whole function, to see the people he loved. I was told that normally Tan Sri President would be giving out the prizes, but this year, Tan Sri Chairman did all that. To me, it was like him saying goodbye to all the PETRONAS employees. I don't know if it was a premonition, but it was a touching farewell of sorts from a great man.

When he passed away early Wednesday morning, a lot of the senior staff in PETRONAS were already at Marriott Putrajaya to attend the Senior Management Workshop (having checked-in the night before). Again, I thought it was apt because the soldiers that went to war with him were mostly there. And they got the chance to bid the Tan Sri Chairman a proper farewell.

I never knew the man personally, and our interactions were limited to the occasional nods. But those who knew him would tell you that he was indeed a great man. Well, I became a member of the PETRONAS family when he was the Chief, so I guess in some ways I am indebted to him.

Semoga Allah mencucuri rahmat ke atas rohnya dan ditempatkan bersama orang-orang yang beriman.

(you know who)

5:25 PM  
Blogger lion3ss said...

Dear (you know who),

Somehow, Dato Ali's passing didn't hit me as hard as losing Tan Sri Chairman. Maybe because I don't feel as 'close' to him as we were to Tan Sri.

Similarly, I do not know him personally, and yes whatever interaction we had would be occasional smiles and nods. Besides at work, hear about him from my dad-in-law who's a good friend. The stories I hear made me admire him even much more. He was to me, the few last rare gentleman available in our society today.

I was so excited to see him in the carnival last week. Seeing him taking those slow steps to meet the staff was just so touching. I've been with the team for both the carnival and Ascope eversince I joined, and an opportunity to see him during these was never missed. Yes, it would have been even better if it was him giving out the prizes to us that night..but I was informed that going up and down the steps might take a toll on him.

The only regret I had was to never have a conversation with him, maybe pick his brain a bit on the wonderful things he has done to both the Company and the nation. I shall miss seeing him in the lobby or just around Suria windowshopping like he always does during lunch hours.

Al-Fatihah.

p/s: I still can't figure out who you are.

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home