//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Random Thoughts of a Lioness: How well do you know a person?

Random Thoughts of a Lioness

The reward of conformity was that everyone liked you, except yourself.

Name:

This is me. Like it or not. 'I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions' - Dorothy Day, 1952

Friday, October 29, 2004

How well do you know a person?

I had a long conversation with an old friend yesterday. We were talking about raya plans and work (yes, we are that pathetic!) when the topic of a mutual friend came out.

Spide, Awang and I used to hang out a lot during our single days - lunch, dinner, movies and the occasional weekend plans. We talk about our hopes and dreams, and what we imagine to do should we have the chance (and the guts!) to leave our jobs. Spide regarded Awang and I his two best buddies. However, our time became less and less due to our work and when two of us got hitched, it became non existent.

Spide left his company earlier this year. While one of the more apparent reason was due to the poor rating his boss gave him, he also decided to quit because he had a business on the side. He was upset with how he was treated during the performance rating, citing unfairness and all. He was transferred out soon after, but he was still up to his old tricks - MIA during office hours, taking last minute leaves and just couldn't care less about his work. Sad, since he is smart and all. When the management started to sniff his behaviour, he decided to leave altogether. Well, for someone who told me (and some other people) that he had a pharmaceutical supply company I guess he would be better off. Good for him to be able to live his dream. He was already bored of work anyway. After he quit, I didn't hear anything from him ever again.

Well, back to the future - Awang and I was talking about him when he asked me,

What was it again he told you he was doing?

Told him about the supply company. He sighed. Apparently, Spide told him a different story. And the best thing was, he received a call from Spide a couple of weeks back. Being the curious cat he is, he called the number back to find out it was a bank. Spide working in a bank? He asked, but Spide steered away from the topic. Awang and I also talked on other things, and accidentally found out more and more things that are so different from that Spide we knew.

Awang is still trying to get to the bottom of this. I don't give a hoot actually, but it does give me a food for thought. No matter how well you think you know a person, you might not know the real him or her at all. And the thing is, it goes for everyone - even myself.

2 Comments:

Blogger the intrepid traveller said...

true so true..my thots maybe "Spide" was too embarassed to tell you where he's working now,
etc...maybe the pharmaceutical supply biz plans fell thru..lots of reasons kan..

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess you can never trully know a person. If you really think about it, we are made of our private selves (who we are behind close doors), public selves(who people see in public) and possibly personal selves (the most private, and possibly darkest, side of us).

But it's probably a good thing as well. I mean, I normally take it as an adventure. You might be delightly surprised with new discoveries. But then again, you might not.

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home