//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Random Thoughts of a Lioness: Open houses and raya food..

Random Thoughts of a Lioness

The reward of conformity was that everyone liked you, except yourself.

Name:

This is me. Like it or not. 'I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions' - Dorothy Day, 1952

Monday, November 14, 2005

Open houses and raya food..

Syawal weekends are often so tiring. As the city people trying to squeeze in a day to invite friends and families over for Raya, the rest of us will end up eating 3 different sorts of rice, 5 different types of drinks, and endless variety of kuih rayas. *No wonder the clinics are making a fortune describing indigestion pills to people this festive season!*

Last weekend saw me co-hosting our own open house at Daddy's. For the first time, Daddy asked to look for Nasi Dagang. Since his not-so-skillful daughter-in-law knows nuts about cooking this Terengganu dish, I did the next best thing - order it from a Terengganu makcik. She comes highly recommended by my uncles and aunties, and these people have been eating Nasi Dagang everywhere! Others on the menu was Nasi Lemak Sambal Sotong(courtesy of a Keramat stall and BW's sambal expertise), satay with nasi himpit and kuah kacang, and Laksa Penang. I am glad to report that the sales of Nasi Dagang on that day was excellent. People were delighted to see something other than the normal delicacies. *grins*

One up for the youngest DIL! *Although it can't beat to actually cook like BW la kan? LOL*

The guests started coming as early as 11, and the last ones left well after 7 pm. Thank goodness the food were enough for everyone, and just nicely enough for dinner. No shortage, and no wastage..just the way I like it. Most of the guests were family members, close friends and neighbours. One new neighbour, an expatriate German family living opposite us found out that our next door neighbour are also German! They stayed on and chatted for the longest time. Buster's aunts from Ijok brought over their anak angkats from Japan, Indonesia and Brunei who were in Malaysia on their last day. In between running to and fro the kitchen, I could hear people speaking in numerous languages that it became not unlike a Raya advert on tv!

As usual, Daddy forgot to invite his latest menantu's side of the family until the last minute. Dah malas nak rasa hati dah...it happens often enough. Since I only invited them a few days prior to that, most couldn't make it. But of course, I can always count on T, his gf and the whole Horse Hill entourage. I so enjoyed seeing them eat almost EVERYTHING we served! Tash came with them, and for the first time that day I sat down and ate. I think most of the tables were looking at the loud Terengganu speaking crowd! Emm came right after. I was happy that at least the closest people to me showed up. By 1730 hours, I sat down to have a bowl of laksa when Uncle Pious Pilot and Aunty Nice walked in. Yay! One elder relative actually made it. Daddy and Uncle PP had a discussion on lambs and asam keping *DO NOT ask me why* while Aunty Nice told me the wedding preparation for my Emmy Award cousin Edie (this needs another entry).

The cleaning-up process was tiring to the max. Enough to say that even the sofa never looked so good.

Yesterday was spent driving and visiting 3 different open houses and a 9-course Chinese wedding dinner. I don't think I can even fit into my raya clothes after this!

1 Comments:

Blogger lion3ss said...

Rostam : I hear you. Penat ok?
Rectified the font problem, I can barely see it myself!

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home